Saturday, March 6, 2010

John Brett - British

Off the Coast of Guernsey, 18 x 35.5 cms







Nice use of purple and yellow complementary colours.

John Brett (1831–1902) was an artist associated with the Pre-Raphaelite movement (although is not considered to be a Pre-Raphaelite painter himself), mainly notable for his highly detailed landscapes. In his later years he painted more coastal subjects and seascapes, subjects he came to know well due to his ownership of a 210 ton schooner, Viking (which had a crew of twelve), on which he travelled the Mediterranean.

4 comments:

willek said...

I am, once again, spending a wonderful evening browsing your terrific blog. I am a painter near Boston Massachusetts USA and often go to Gloucester, Rockport, Coast of Maine and its Islands, Martha's Vineyard and Boston's South Shore area to paint the sea. Many of the paintures you are featuring are new to me. I can't believe you have so few commenters. Thanks and Regards, Will Kirkpatrick

jeronimus said...

Hi Will. Thanks for the encouraging feedback. Glad you are enjoying the blog. I enjoy doing it, but, I guess eventually I'll run out of paintings to post. I would love to paint at those locations you mentioned on the East Coast, but I'm thousands of miles away in Australia. So it might have to wait a few years.
All the best with your painting.
Do you have a website or blog showing your work?

Anonymous said...

I have just stumbled onto your blog....wonderful!! It is such a marvelous reference for painting the sea. I had been resigned to the limited (but great)spectrum of the ASMA fellows and Geoff Hunt. I was not aware of many of these artists. Keep up the good work!

Bruce in France

jeronimus said...

Thanks Bruce. Nice to know there are others out there into marine art. The marine painters have been a bit neglected in art history. Geoff Hunt is a master!